We at the Mystic Krewe would like to thank the amazing producers of NPR’s “Out To Lunch” radio show, Grant Morris, Peter Ricchiuti and the whole gang for the wonderful time we had on their show.
We’ve had a lot of interesting press coverage lately, as well as a variety of cool activities. Our eighth Live From the PinChurch show featuring Alexis & the Samurai was a great success.
We’ve recently held classes on a variety of topics from Beekeeping to CPR, with many more fun things to come!
In addition to our normal social activities, we have a number of business projects in development, including work on electronics, lighting, software, mobile applications and more. We’re also gearing up for the Louisiana State Pinball Championships in a few weeks. We are also hosting a weekly pinball league at our public satellite location at 2315 St. Claude. The Mystic Krewe Pinball Parlor – the area’s largest array of pinball machines out in public for everyone to enjoy.
We are always looking for cool, creative, interesting people to join our special family!
For information on our group and how to join, visit the MK about page.
2017 has been action-packed within the Mystic Krewe, and we’ve been remiss in updating the web site, instead focusing our time on various projects. Here’s a partial list of what we’ve been doing lately:
- Many more live concerts – We’ve now done seven “Live From the PinChurch” concerts and are still editing and releasing videos. We’ve hosted a very diverse array of bands in our private cyber-studio of different styles and configurations, from small folk acts, to orchestras. As always, members get in free to the shows, and there’s a limited number of public tickets, which now seem to sell out fast. We’ve started a new Youtube channel for the PinChurch. Be sure to Subscribe!
- Classes – We recently produced another fun event, an Introduction/Overview of how to build a MAME (custom arcade) system. We’ve got future classes lined up in everything from stained glass to public relations and ProTools. Our members are very generous about sharing their time and their skills with the group.
- Charity Events – The MK continues to support a variety of benevolent organizations, including recently the Greater New Orleans Youth Orchestra and the Humane Society of Louisiana. We’re working on setting up a volunteer day to help Habitat For Humanity.
- New Orleans first pinball arcade in 30+ years! – We finally opened a public pinball arcade at 2315 St. Claude, and we are working on opening up an even larger scale venue and looking for partners!
- Tech Projects – We’ve got a wide variety of cool tech projects that we’re doing, from laser cutting leather into neat items to sell, to designing custom digital LED “smart lights” and creating Internet-aware microcontrollers.
- Pinball – Our member, Adrienne Black became the first woman ever to win a state pinball championship! Congrats Adeienne. She went to Las Vegas to compete in the nationals. There’s even talk of us hosting a future regional/world pinball championship. More tournaments are coming to the Mystic Krewe Pinball Parlor downtown as well!
- Membership – We’ve been adding many new members to the family and our weekly events are becoming really special. Our amazing array of interesting, creative and passionate people are a joy to hang out with. It’s so rewarding to be surrounded by cool people so willing to help. If you’d like to be among us, see if membership is for you!
The Mystic Krewe was always supposed to be a small, intimate group of special friends who played and collaborated. It’s taken us a little more than two years to build an abandoned space into a special oasis, and we’re now past the half-way point in terms of membership – we expect the second half of members to fill up quickly. Once we hit our goal, our group will become more exclusive. It’s not so much about exclusion as it is about having a small, wonderful group of generous souls who understand what we’re trying to do and look to the future.
Are you interested in joining our special group? Read our FAQ and find out more about us and whether you want to be part of building something special.
We expect this time next year we will have even more resources. It’s time us individual, good-hearted, creative people have a faction that represents our interests. We don’t need many, just a few good people to make our group strong and vibrant! If this appeals to you, contact us!
In association with our great friends at Kebab, the Mystic Krewe this month opened the first public pinball parlor in the New Orleans area since the 1980s. Dubbed the “Mystic Krewe Pinball Parlor NOLA”, we’ve put a small collection of vintage pinball machines out for the public to enjoy. This is a first step in a larger outreach to share our love of this unique game with the community.
In addition to games, we’ve created several “museum-style” displays showing how machines work as well as details on the history of the games.
Various events and activities will be planned at the public location, including leagues and sanctioned tournaments. The MKPP is open every day except Tuesday, from 11am-10pm and 11am-11pm on Fridays and Saturdays! Be sure to drop by and play the games and check out the amazing food from the kitchen!
The MKPP is located at 2315 St. Claude ave in the historic St. Roch district, just a block from the famous St. Roch market and near many other area landmarks such as Siberia, Hi-Ho, LA46, etc. For more visit: www.NolaPinball.com